28 April 2023 | JW Marriott Grosvenor House Hotel
Karen originally trained as a nurse in the early 80’s before training as a midwife in 1986. Following qualification as a midwife she has worked in all areas of maternity services including high risk labour ward and managing two midwife led birth centres. Karen became a supervisor of midwives in 2000 and became a PMA in 2019. The interface between students and those in their care is an under explored area. Karen is interested in the impact that students have on those in their care and how women perceive the impact of student midwives on their care. Karen's main teaching area is complex midwifery practice. She also teaches student midwives about statutory supervision and regulation relating to midwifery practice.
• Registered Nurse, Barking, Havering and Brentwood School of Nursing
• Registered Midwife, Mid Essex School of Nursing and Midwifery
• Preperation for Supervisors of Midwives, ENB University of Hertfordshire
• BA (hons) Women’s and Midwifery Studies, Anglia Ruskin University
• Postgraduate Diploma Learning and Teaching, Anglia Ruskin University
• MSc Advanced Midwifery Practice, Anglia Ruskin University