I am currently a final year Adult Branch nursing student at Swansea University.
Aside from my nursing studies, I am extremely research active and the founder and chair of an LGBTQ+ support network in Pembrokeshire and provide LGBTQ+ awareness training for staff and students within the health board. I am a student mentor, RCN Student Information Officer, student representative and sit on Hywel Dda University Health Board’s LGBTQ+ staff network. A member of Swansea University’s Centre for Innovation, Learning, Teaching and Assessment, I have also acted as a proof-reader for Lantern Publishing. I currently sit on the steering committee of a UKRI-funded research project investigating the effects of Covid-19 on nursing curricula.
- Transcultural nursing, cultural congruence, cultural competence, and the ethical challenges of cultural incongruence on nursing care and intervention
- Gender Recognition Act and its implications for the effective nursing care of transgender patients
- Bowel Screening
- Reflection as a conduit for clinical governance
- Townsend, M.J. (2020). Learning to nurse during the pandemic: a student’s reflections. British Journal of Nursing, 29(16), 972-973
- Townsend, M.J. (2021). Bowel screening: adherence factors and the nurse’s role in promotion. Nursing Times, 117(3), 39-42
- Townsend, M.J. Deceiving to be kind: an exploration of therapeutic lying and truth-telling in dementia care. [Forthcoming – 2021]