Student Placement of the Year: Hospital
Students view their placement as one of the most exhilarating but also challenging experiences of their student lives. This award seeks to recognise those hospital wards and environments that manage the anxieties associated with going on placement by providing a structured learning environment that helps the student to flourish. This includes clearly setting out what students will be exposed to during their time at the hospital, and ensuring they are supported to learn, practise skills and gain wisdom from the wider team.
Stage one of the judging process involves shortlisting entries based solely on the information provided here. Stage two will involve a roundtable discussion between judges to decide a winner, so please make sure this entry includes as much evidence as possible.
What are the judges looking for?
An exceptional hospital-based environment that demonstrates excellence in:
- Making time for students to be properly supported throughout their placement, scheduling time for reflection and practising relevant skills
- Providing both emotional and practical support from the management team as well as from the mentor
- Integrating student nurses or midwives into the team, using their supernumerary status to ensure they gain valuable learning experiences during their time on placement
- Using innovative ‘hands-on’ teaching skills to ensure students have the chance to put into practice what they have learnt in the classroom
- Tailoring the learning process to meet the needs of particular students, as well as conditions during the pandemic
- Developing and upholding the professionalism of nurses, ensuring students understand and adhere to the NMC Code
- Exhibiting a culture that inspires, enthuses and motivates students, with positive attitudes throughout the team
- Offering advice and guidance to protect and ensure safety of student nurses and midwives at work
Please attach any supporting evidence to your application that you feel is relevant. This can include testimonials, student feedback or student evaluations or any other appropriate evidence.
This award is open to any NHS or independent hospital-based environment that has been accepting nursing or midwifery student(s) on placements for at least 12 months by 31 December 2020. The award is for an individual business, a hospital or a specific ward, practice or unit.
Take a look at what our 2019 winner had to say about winning the award: