Student Nurse of the Year: Adult
This award aims to recognise an outstanding final-year student and to celebrate the breadth of learning needed to join this branch of the profession – from clinical skills to academic achievement, which underpin the treatment of all patients. In essence, entrants must combine the knowledge, skills and qualities required to excel. As a nurse entering adult nursing, the winner will have a broad understanding of a range of conditions and treatments, and demonstrate an in-depth understanding of the nursing profession and its responsibilities.
What are the judges looking for?
The judges are looking for an exceptional final-year student nurse who can demonstrate excellence in the following:
- Knowledge of and competence in clinical skills;
- Understanding of the rationale behind evidence-based practice, treatment choices and care pathways;
- Interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to use them with patients, families and carers;
- An ability to act with compassion and empathy;
- Active listening, responding and personalising care to meet patients’ needs;
- Academic achievement;
- Acting as a role model for student nursing;
- Team playing and an appreciation of the role nursing within the wider multidisciplinary team;
- Use of reflection and the confidence to question practice even if they may challenge others.
Please attach any supporting evidence to your application that you feel is relevant. This can include testimonials, mentor or university staff feedback or student evaluations or any other appropriate evidence.
Please note: you must be a final-year student on an adult nursing pre-registration course when the awards take place in April 2019 or have graduated in the six months prior to this to enter this award.
If you are shortlisted for this award, you will be invited to attend our offices to present to the judges.
Take a look at what our 2018 winners had to say about winning the award: