This award seeks to recognise universities and providers of nurse and/or midwife education that are putting an emphasis on the overall student experience. This focus ensures students are supported in a learning community that is nurturing of the whole person as well as being conducive to encouraging excellence in learning and sharing best practice. Student experience is even more relevant after the planned removal of the bursary, while the scarcity of funding for post-registration education has raised students’ expectations of their education provider and gives students more choice about where and how they study.
What are the judges looking for?
- An outstanding educational institution offering nursing or midwifery education that demonstrates excellence and employs motivational and inspiring teaching staff;
- Phenomenal resources and teaching environment, including simulation laboratories and equipment;
- An emphasis on academic achievement and hands-on clinical skills and people skills;
- Development of vital strengths and traits for those entering the profession – such as resilience, compassion and ability to challenge;
- A superb relationship with local placement providers to ensure a well-rounded and well-executed experience on placement;
- Well-respected and well-used cohort and peer support groups to help assist and coach students through their course;
- Evidence of students being enabled to influence the programme for their cohort and future cohorts’ benefit;
- Superb university facilities to support busy student lives;
- Good standard of living accommodation;
- Good student union and opportunities for social interaction;
- Varied extracurricular activities including sports facilities;
- Positive learning community that makes students feel part of the institution;
- The ability to see students as a whole and offer support and welfare where needed;
- An institution that communicates its ethos and encourages integration into student life;
- An environment that makes students feel safe and secure;
- Offers facilities that are accessible and flexible to the needs of individual students;
- Helps students to grow as people as well as to succeed academically.
Please attach any supporting evidence to your application that you feel is relevant. This can include testimonials, student feedback or student evaluations or any other appropriate evidence.
If you are shortlisted for this award, you will be invited to attend our offices to present to the judges with one or two of your student(s), who may be interviewed separately.
Take a look at what our 2018 winners had to say about winning the award: