Mentor of the Year
Mentors have the potential to shape student nurses or midwives and help inspire and motivate them throughout their course and then in their chosen career. Good mentors demonstrate empathy with their student, adapting their coaching methods to suit the individual, and provide an environment that encourages questions, informed debate and learning.
This award recognises the important role of the mentor in the education of student nurses and midwives. It is open to any registered nurse who is a mentor working in an acute, community, NHS or private setting mentoring students on placement, and who mentors one or more students (or will have done during the past 12 months to 31 December 2018).
What are the judges looking for?
An exceptional nurse mentor who demonstrates excellence in the following:
- Supporting their students’ development of relevant skills and ensuring their students appreciate the relevance and value of these skills;
- Emotional and practical support, offering students time for reflection as well as time to perfect required skills;
- Interpersonal and communication skills enabling them to give students comprehensive feedback and the opportunity to learn from their mistakes and develop;
- Innovative ‘hands-on’ teaching skills to ensure students are given the chance to put into practice what they have learnt in the classroom;
- Ability to tailor the learning process to meet the needs of particular students;
- Emphasis on developing and upholding professionalism of nurses and/or midwives, ensuring students understand and adhere to the Nursing and Midwifery Council’s Code;
- Acting as a role model for nurses and midwives;
- A positive attitude that inspires and enthuses students.
Please attach any supporting evidence to your application that you feel is relevant. This can include testimonials, student feedback or student evaluations or any other appropriate evidence.
This award is open to mentors who have been mentoring student(s) for at least 12 months by 31 December 2018.
If you are shortlisted for this award, you will be invited to attend our offices to present to the judges with one or two of your student(s), who may be interviewed separately.
Take a look at what our 2018 winners had to say about winning the award: