Educator of the Year
Excellent teaching is the foundation of future generations of nurses. Teachers can inspire, enthuse and motivate students; furthering their quest for knowledge and understanding.
What are the judges looking for?
An exceptional educator who can demonstrate excellence in:
- Bringing to life the importance of the role of the nurse and/or midwife;
- Engendering a sense of pride in their students’ chosen profession;
- Teaching clinical subjects with a flair for bringing the academic side of the course to life;
- Interpersonal and communication skills;
- Coaching, mentorship and emotional support for students;
- Continuing innovation to improve students’ learning experience;
- Helping student nurses and midwives achieve their potential, with documentation providing evidence of student results.
Please attach any supporting evidence to your application that you feel is relevant. This can include student feedback, student evaluations or testimonials where applicable or any other evidence. Be aware that testimonial evidence while important is not all that is expected in your submission.
Examples of evidence:
- Testimonial from head of school or equivalent demonstrating support for your nomination;
- Testimonial from colleagues who have knowledge of your skills and/or have benefitted from your mentorship, coaching, leadership or role modelling;
- Testimonial from students who have benefitted from your approaches to teaching and learning, mentorship, coaching or other support;
- Evidence of evaluation of your teaching and leadership skills which might include student evaluation, attainment data, evidence of changes to policy and practices;
- Evidence of student achievements outside of assessed work, for example, opportunities taken to participate in local or national projects and schemes that support development;
- Evidence of supporting the development of social capital, confidence, and leadership skills in students;
- Evidence of dissemination via publication, conference presentation or public engagement activities.
This award is open to educators teaching full-time or part-time pre-registration or post-registration nursing courses, who will have been teaching for more than two years by 31 December 2020. The teaching experience does not have to have been in the same institution.
If you are shortlisted for this award, and with coronavirus conditions permitting, you will be invited to attend our covid-19 secure offices to present to the judges. The shortlist will be informed of any changes to the final judging process.
Take a look at what our 2019 winner had to say about winning the award: